Sunday 1 December 2013

The Christmas coutdown begins...


So another week begins. Not really much to report, as like I said before, I find myself in a fairly standard routine now. On Monday, I was asked to simply read aloud for the class as part of a listening activity. I read a text and they answer questions / fill gaps etc. Hearing a native person speaking is something very valuable for language learners and is so much better than listening to an unrealistic tape recording which is what they normally do. Although this task was very simple for me, I enjoyed it and it felt like it was appreciated. My teacher even went on to say that she "could listen to me all day", which I understood, but still found it a little odd. She said that my accent and the English accent in general is pleasant to listen to and sounds intelligent whereas the American accent just makes people sound stupid. I get the feeling that English (and here I mean British English rather than American/Other forms of English) really is held in high regard by speakers of other languages. So if you're reading and understanding this, consider yourself very fortunate!

Tuesday and Wednesday were also normal days. Although at one point, a whole class started chanting my name as I entered the room. I guess that's not very normal but apart from that, yes, normal. One thing I did notice this week in both my schools was that, since a lot of classes have recently done tests, they received their tests back and if they scored below a certain score, the test had to be taken home and signed by a parent to prove that it had been recognised and (hopefully) the parent has had a stern word with their son/daughter. I don't ever recall this happening at my school and I think its a good idea. This way the pupil can't hide the fact that their aren't working hard enough and their parent also knows this. Good work Germany! On Wednesday evening I also sampled my first German Doner Kebab (or Döner Kebap). These seem to be a staple of most peoples diet here and there are loads of Döner shops. You're probably thinking 'Eurgh!' and I don't blame you, but the Doners here are different. In England, yes, they are something only drunk people eat when they've been kicked out of a club in the early hours of a cold Sunday morning. They're greasy, unhealthy and made from goodness knows what. I certainly wouldn't want to eat one. But here in Germany they are better quality and more healthily. They are often served in proper Turkish eateries, which says a lot too. Mine was packed with fresh salad and the origin and 'make-up' of the meat was displayed. I enjoyed it a lot.

Following this, I continued my run of new experiences and went to my first real German 'Stammtisch'. A 'Stammtisch' is basically just a meeting or get together, often a club or society etc. I received a spontaneous invite from Verena, my tandem partner and as part of my saying yes policy, I simply had to accept. We made our way to a cosy little bar in Regensburg where her Philosophy university class meet on a regular basis. It was a really friendly atmosphere and I was immediately welcomed. It was great to chat with people of a similar age to me and actually speak casual, conversational German. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was actually able to hold a conversation and almost everybody commented that they were impressed with my level. It was really reassuring and I really enjoyed myself. It felt like a very rewarding evening
and I left with a smile on my face (and only €2 down after two beers -two! I told you it was cheap over here!) I hope to go there again sometime.

Following my day in school on Thursday, Lois came to Regensburg once again, this time with a large case in order to help me move out on the Saturday. However, before that, we had far more important business to attend to. Thursday saw the opening of many of the Christmas Markets here in Germany, including the several markets here in Regensburg. Now if you weren't already aware, Germans take the business of Christmas pretty serious. Christmas is up there with Football, Beer and Sausage. (And if you didn't know, that Christmas Tree soon to be erected in your front room has origins right here in Germany!) I would go as far to say that the actual build up to Christmas, ie the first three weeks of December, is more important to Germans than Christmas Day itself! This is shown through the fact that many of the Christmas cards I have seen actually wish a happy 'Adventszeit' (the period before Christmas) rather than a Merry Christmas like in England. So on Thursday we wrapped up warm, thermals and everything, and made our way out to the Weihnachtsmarkt. The recognisable smell of Bratwurst and Glühwein and the glittering lights of the huts could be made out long before we got
there. It really is magical and it really can't be replicated. The market was heaving. The Germans wait 11 months every year for this and when it comes, it appears the entire population comes out to make the most of it. The atmosphere is nevertheless very friendly and warm. Due to the huge crowds, we
didn't get to see many of the stalls and we were disappointed to find that they sold out of Bratwurst long before the market closed - the Germans selling out of sausage! Who would've thought?! Despite this disappointment we had a lovely first experience of real German Christmas Markets.







Regensburg Christmas Markets






















On Friday, we returned and started a little Christmas shopping. Since my flat had been practically completely packed away into boxes, we had no place to make breakfast, so instead, we went to a great little Bagel shop and had a tasty bagel breakfast. Later, we visited market stalls and also went to the large shopping centre in Regensburg which was also decorated all festive. Friday evening we finally got out 'Bratwurst-fix' with a 1/2 meter bratwurst back at the market. Interesting trying to eat it but tasted great! We also sampled some warm, sugared peanuts, which the Germans seems to love and then warmed up in a few bars with a few drinks before heading back.











Picture number one of Marcus' new 'Sausage Cam' album.


                                                                                                                                         Relaxing with a cocktail


Saturday began with the moving of boxes and packing up the contents of my room into three suitcases. We helped load boxes into a van and then made the journey to Eichstätt. Relieved to arrive after heaving bags around several train stations and several train changes, we continued the Christmas market theme by visiting Lois' local market. It was on a much smaller scale, but perhaps even more cute and cosy. There were some really lovely homey things on sale and again lots of tasty Glühweins and foods. (Speaking of Glühwein - The extremely cheap price of a bottle means that we are getting through an increasingly-worrying amount. The other night we purchased one bottle and within an hour it was gone - GONE! But hey, that's how the Germans do it!) There is even a small ice rink here, which we definitely have to try at some point. It's a shame we can't purchase some of the lovley wreaths and home ornaments, but we just couldn't get them back. Some of the gifts that you can purchase are simply wonderful. We both can't wait to discover even more markets! Finally on Saturday, we did perhaps the most important pre-December task of all - purchasing Advent Calendars. Choosing an Advent Calendars here in Germany isn't an easy task. I've already explained how seriously they take Christmas and as a result, the range of Advent Calendars to buy is massive. But we eventually settled on two nice ones, made by popular German chocolate brand 'Milka' - Let the countdown begin!

 
Eichstätt Christmas Lights - I'm sure they look more effective by night.

We got right into the Christmas spirit by watching the first Christmas film of the year on Sunday afternoon. 'The Santa Claus' made us feel very festive and excited. We also re-visited the Eichstätt market and sampled some delicious Jägerpunsch. A sort of hot tea with a dash of liquor. Delicious on a cold afternoon.

And finally I better give you a little insight into where I'm actually writing this post from. Fortunately on Thursday, a teacher came to my rescue and said she had a contact who could offer me a room for December. I was really was saved at the last minute as I had mentally prepared myself for either a long commute from Lois beginning at 4am everyday or sleeping in a room with complete strangers in a Hostel. But fortunately here I am in a lovely house in Burgweinting, just south of Regensburg. I have my own room which is really cosy and my own bathroom. My room is in a lovely, big, modern house with a super kitchen and lots of space. The women who has kindly let me live here is so friendly and has gone out of her way to make me feel very at home. There is also another person who rents a room, so I think the house will be quite an active place. Although it's outside of the city, it's not far on the bike and there are good train/bus connections. I really feel very fortunate.

So until next time,

Tschüß




 

No comments:

Post a Comment