Monday 6 January 2014

Return to the Fatherland

Hello all and Happy New Year!

    Here I am writing my first post of 2014 from my new flat here in Germany. Lois and I moved me in today (Monday) and I certainly couldn't have done it without her. It's surprising how much you accumulate over just a few months. We dragged, pushed, pulled and heaved our big bags from Lois' to mine but we made it. I can't tell you how nice it is to finally have a place of my own and to have my own space to live, cook and work. I'm really happy with it and it seems just perfect for me. The journey to the centre takes 10 minutes on the bus and a little longer by bike. A supermarket is a short ride / 20 minute walk and the flat itself is very cosy.




Monday 6th January is always a National Holiday here in Germany. (Something to do with the 3 kings visiting Jesus - consequently we've seen several different trios of Kings wondering the streets - Honestly! They go from house to house and bring luck and prosperity for the year ahead.) That means that absolutely nowhere is open. Nowhere, apart from the businesses inside train stations. That said, the only supermarket (which is actually more of a mini-market) can be found in Regensburg Train Station. And since this is the only supermarket for literally miles around open on a National Holiday, it was packed. We visited at 14:00 and the shelves were almost empty. We had planned to buy some food for tea here, but there was literally nothing (we didn't fancy two cucumbers and a yogurt - almost the only things available). In addition, there was nowhere for me to buy my bedding for this evening. Consequently I'm sleeping on a mattress tonight. Just a mattress. Fortunately the flat is warm and I have my onesie for added comfort. Tomorrow, I will be doing a large shop to buy all the food and necessities required.


 Cosy....

So since my last post, we've both done quite a bit, yet it seems to have flown by. We spent our last weekend in Germany in Munich, visiting the Christmas Markets. We were really impressed with the Munich Christmas Markets and even more impressed with a festival called 'Tollwood', also held in Munich. It's an alternative festival, with lots of wacky things being sold and displayed, but there was a nice feel to it and a great choice of food. I can't explain the excitement we were both feeling as we left our hotel on Sunday 22nd December and made our way to the airport to fly home for Christmas. The plane journey was filled with Christmas music and excitement for the two weeks which were to spent with our families. Arriving back home, it was as if we had never left, but equally, we valued being around family and the familiarity a lot more. My Christmas was wonderful and again, meant so much more since I had been away for so long. Chilling by the fire, watching TV and just being with family was just perfect and I enjoyed every minute of being at home for Christmas. NYE was spent with my family and Lois in London, which was an experience to say the least! Despite the crowds and the slightly obstructed view of the fireworks, we had a really great time and its something we hope to do again. Quite literally before we knew it we were making our way back to Manchester Airport at 5:00 on a Sunday Morning. Going through security, the inevitable frisking took place, and we left sunny England and arrived back in rainy Germany. Arriving back to Lois' flat was strange and it feels as though nothing ever happened. We've both asked each other a few times, where Christmas went! But for now, we have to get used to waiting for the Green Man once again, looking the opposite way when crossing roads and banishing the word 'queue' from our vocabulary.

 The huge Christmas Tree in Marienplatz, Munich.


 Ice Skating in Munich - Too cold for us!

 The really cool 'Tollwood' Festival

 A 'Schocko-Döner' - Chocolate Doner Kebab. Chocolate shavings served in a cakey roll - We had never seen anything like it before!

 Flying home for Christmas with out Christmas Jumpers on. We were like two little kids at, well... Christmas!



I thought saying 'Goodbye' to parents would be easier this time. We know what to expect in Germany, we know where to go and we have lots to look forward to, but oh, how wrong I was. It was equally as tough as the first time and the feeling seems to have, unfortunately, stuck. This is a part of the Year Abroad that is always brushed over. The feeling of being so far away from home and family can't be explained and has to be experienced. We have both spent the last two days feeling pretty down and upset at the thought of 5 months in Germany. We've been fed up with teaching, fed up with Germany and fed up with German! Yes, it's a fantastic experience for us both and yes, we have lots to look forward to, but it doesn't ease the pain and sadness of leaving loved ones. I don't want to sound soppy or 'weak' but I feel this feeling should be spoken about more, seeing as though the only stories we heard about previous students' Years Abroad were ones of amazing experiences and 24/7 happiness. Sometimes guys, Year Abroad sucks and it's felt like that for the past two days. The desire to be at home, and sometimes to just go home, has, at times, seemed almost overwhelming. I really don't know what state I'd be in without Lois. Genuinely, I don't know what I would have done had I been here alone and 'chapeau' to those who do a Year Abroad alone. We're so lucky to have each other and I know we've both helped each other get through the past few tough days.

I hate to be so depressing, but I'm just being honest. I feel it important to write about feelings like this, in order to be able to look back and see how far we've come. I think that once we both start schools and get stuck in again, we'll get right back into it and continue to enjoy our Year Abroad. School starts again tomorrow, and as much I can't be bothered with the planning and the effort of teaching, I know I'll feel better for it and I'm sure I'll enjoy parts.

I'll update you at the end of the week

Bis Bald

No comments:

Post a Comment