Friday 30 May 2014

My last three days as a British Council Language Assistant


I could hardly believe it was here. The last week (or more like 3 days) as a British Council Teaching Assistant. I was actually quite looking forward to the lesson with my Monday Year 5 class. The lesson began at 14:00 and as I entered the room, the students were crowded around a table at the front of the room. Once they saw me, they all parted, revealing a huge, beautifully decorated cream cake, that had been baked by a group of students. I was really surprised by how much effort they had put into it. Before I knew it, a sizeable portion had been put on a plate and was thrust towards me. The cake was delectable and I think the others thought so too, since it went pretty fast. At this point, another student pulled another cake out of his bag and began cutting in to it. Once again slices were shared and this student had even brought along chocolate dessert sauce which was poured over. Lecker! My sweet tooth was certainly satisfied by this point, so you'd understand my shock when a different student whipped out a cake tin full of homemade muffins. 'Good lord' I thought, as one was once again thrust towards me. I breathed a sigh of relief after finishing my third helping of cake, before turning around only to be confronted with a girl insisting that I try her homemade cupcake. At this point I simply couldn't stomach any more cake, so I saved it for later. Wow. So after 4 cakes, we were finally ready to begin the lesson. We spoke about their homework and discussed some pictures, but the whole atmosphere was so relaxed and friendly because of it being my last lesson - or maybe they were just all in cake induced comas? At the end of the lessons, I was presented with a lovely poster they had made and all signed, before posing for selfies with many of them. I felt like a celebrity. They expressed their sadness that I was leaving, and were even more sad to hear I wasn't coming back. They then began to ask for my return flight details, insisting that they would 'hijack the plane' and bring me back. I guess the thought is nice. I have to say that as they walked out of the room and I realised I wouldn't see any of them again, I felt a little sad myself. Yes, a lesson several weeks ago consisted of them throwing orange peels at me, but at the end of the day, they were good children and I guess just normal Year 5 students. The teacher gave me a little gift before I left school, and also told me how much help I'd been. She explained how much of a difference she had seen in their English since me being there 'gives them a reason to learn English', which was a really nice thought indeed.

The goodbye poster that the Year 5 class made for me.
They all signed their name inside the heart.
Notice how I'm considered a real German now -
My name is spelt with a K instead of a C.


Tuesday was my last day in the Albert-Schweitzer Realschule. My first lesson was a normal conversational lesson. As I was sat in the staffroom during the break, the headmistress came into the staffroom and announced my departure to the staff. At this point, I was summoned to the front of the room and we exchanged a few small gifts. But this wasn't all. In an almost regal fashion, I was presented with a jacket, emblazoned with 'Regensburg' across the front. As the jacket was placed around my shoulders, I was asked if I had anything to say. I had decided beforehand that if I was given this opportunity I would go for it in German, so I did. I thanked the staff for their help and support and explained how much I had enjoyed my time there and how much I liked the school and the friendly students, all whilst proudly wearing my Regensburg jacket. I remember on my first day making a short speech, but that was in English, and here I was on my last day doing it in German, and it was such a good feeling and so reassuring to see some progression. I then went to my final two classes of the day, where we took some photos and where I answered some questions. During my time with this class, the teacher and I have secretly conspired against the students and convinced them I cant speak German. So today, when the teacher told them they could talk to me 'auf Deutsch' they jumped at the chance. As I began to answer their questions in German, the looks of surprise were priceless. Of course this German conversation then led to issue of whether the students used the 'Du' (informal) or 'Sie' (formal) form of 'you' with me. I replied that of course they could use 'du' with me - "We are all friends" I told them. Like the previous day, the students were sad to see me leave, asking if I could 'extend my contract like a footballer does'. I posed for some more selfies and once again felt like a celebrity! - It's going to be hard going back to England and just being a 'normal' person again! I had so much fun in both of the lessons and it was actually really great to speak a little German with them. The teacher suggested keeping in contact with the class through letters, emails and Skype, which is something I'd love to do, so we will see how far that goes. I left school on Tuesday absolutely buzzing, not because I was leaving, but because I had had such a good time.

I'm hiding right at the back of this Year 7 class!
In England we say 'cheese' when posing for a picture, but in Germany they say
'Ameisen scheisse' which translates as 'Ant S**t' - Strange!

A silly picture


On Tuesday evening I met with five of the English teachers for a 'last supper' so to say. We met at a nice restaurant in Regensburg and enjoyed a relaxed evening, chatting about my experience and about some of the differences between Germany and England. It was a pleasant evening, however after a few hours of intense German conversation, my brain began to get tired and at that point I sort of switched off. Annette, my mentor teacher, kindly paid for my meal and I took the opportunity to give her the gifts I had bought to say thank you for her help throughout my time in Germany. We all said goodbye and it was over. It was hard to believe that I may not ever see these people ever again.

I was excited and looking forward to school on Wednesday, my last ever day as a Language Assistant. The first lesson was a final chance for the Year 7 class to 'interrogate' me about anything. They wrote questions on paper and then all the different questions were collected and I began to answer them. They consisted of the usual ones like 'Do you have brothers or sisters?' and 'What do you like about Germany?' but also some slightly more awkward ones, like 'Who are friendlier - German people or English people?' which was a little tricky to answer when you're stood in front of a German class! I explained that German and English people were just as friendly as each other, but that the English are more polite - and I used the example of queues in the supermarket to illustrate this. At the end of the lesson I posed for some more pictures, before learning that several pupils at the other school had already uploaded their pictures with me onto Facebook! After this lesson I had my final conversation lesson with the trainee teachers before quickly visiting the Year 5 class, who had requested me to visit them quickly between lessons. Two students read out a thank you message and presented me with a photo of the class and a mug which had been signed by the whole class (The teacher said that the students had wanted to buy me some Regensburg pyjamas or some Regensburg socks, but they had finally decided on the mug!) and I thought it was really lovely. Again the teacher said she hoped we could stay in contact and that maybe the class will write some letters to me which would be really nice. After this, I was summoned to another class and presented with a beer tankard from the Year 10 class. They had also written a card and all signed it and told me how much they appreciated my help. It was humbling and I replied that I had really enjoyed working them, especially since they were only a few years younger than myself and I felt we had lots in common. Of course, their level of English was very impressive and I had really enjoyed having proper English conversations with them - often about beer! They were a great bunch and I will definitely miss them.

I had been told that during the break, a small leaving party would be held for me. Before the break started I took a seat in the staffroom and could hear lots of setting up going on in the adjoining room. Suddenly, over the school tanoy system, which is regularly used to give important information to the whole school and can be heard in every classroom, the secretary, as always, asked the attention of the pupils as she had a message. This was followed by a pause, and then a student began speaking in English, which never, ever happens. He began by explaining that today was 'Marcus' last day' and he went on to explain a little about what I'd done and about how much the students enjoyed my lessons and enjoyed having me there. "Seeing Marcus enter the classroom always cheered us up because we knew the lesson wasn't going to be boring" I thought was particularly nice. Following the speech, the message ended with cheers and clapping. I could hardly believe it. It was truly tear-jerking and I really did almost have tears in my eyes! I realised just how appreciated I had been and it was heart warming. As the 'gong' signalled the start of the break, I was summoned into the room next to the staffroom and I was met with a table full of snacks and glasses filled with champagne. All of the staff, including the headmaster, were present. Anja, my mentor teacher, said some lovely words which were then followed by more kind words from the headmaster. I also took the opportunity to say some words in German and thanked all the staff for their help and said how much I had enjoyed it. We exchanged some gifts once again - I received several presents. It was like Christmas! One of the teachers then suggested that all the teachers should say goodbye with the use of a Yorkshire phrase that she had learnt from my Yorkshire lesson. After the count of three, all the members of staff simultaneously said 'Ey Up'. It was unbelievable! After this, I was summoned to the headmasters office for a very important task indeed - I was asked to write in 'The Golden Book'. Not even teachers are allowed to write in 'The Golden Book' so I felt very privileged indeed! More goodbyes, lots of handshaking, several glasses of champagne filled the next hour or so at school, before it was finally time to go. Anja had really put so much effort into making sure my last day at the school was special. I've been so lucky to have had such nice people as contacts and colleagues. She had bought me some lovely gifts and made me feel so, so appreciated and I will really miss her. As I left school, I was sad. I had been expecting to feel relived, even happy, but I didn't. I missed it already and it still felt a little surreal.

I wrote a goodbye message on a Union Jack flag and gave one
to each of my schools to hang on the wall as a lasting memory of me
"To everyone at (name of school)
Thank you for making me feel so welcome
I really enjoyed working with you all
I wish you all the best for the future
Marcus"

And it was put immediately!
It's nice to know I have left my mark on the schools and that I will be remembered


On a positive note, I feel like the German I have spoken over these last three days has been the best German I've spoken all year. I felt relaxed and comfortable this week and I think this is the reason for it. On Monday I enjoyed a conversation with one member of staff who, for the past seven months, I haven't understood a word from. The member of staff in question has a very thick Bavarian accent and uses many 'Bayrisch' words (pretty much another language!). But on Monday I found myself able to understand what he was saying and also able to reply. Maybe he was making a special effort, I don't know, but for me, it was a rewarding experience. It's great to end on a positive.

The British Council Language Assistantship scheme really is a fantastic option for anybody doing a Year Abroad. The hours worked and the money you receive are actually pretty crazy, but the free time allows time to travel which Lois and I have really taken advantage of. We both feel like we have grown up throughout this experience and whilst neither of us wish to become teachers following our assistantship, we've both learnt and developed skills that you just couldn't anywhere else. If I were to do this Year Abroad again, I wouldn't change a thing.

The time at school really has gone fast. I can still vividly remember my first days at the schools and it doesn't seem that long ago. Whilst I know I've sometimes complained, and I admit that it hasn't always been fun, it has been an amazing experience and something I can really take a lot from. Whilst I don't think I'm going to be a teacher, I've enjoyed working with the students, who really have been so motivated and, almost always, a pleasure to teach and work with. It's something I will never, ever forget.

Some of the gifts I received:  My Regensburg jacket,
a beer tankard, lots of chocolates,a Regensburg book, a Bavarian CD,
some sweet mustard (a Regensburg speciality!) and some really lovely cards and letters.
I'm very lucky.

Thursday was a national holiday in Bavaria, hence why we only had a three day week. I travelled to Lois' on Wednesday after school where I will help her move her stuff out and then we will return to Regensburg on
Saturday. We have lots of things planned for our final week, so I will update my blog next Thursday before we fly home on Friday. Check back soon!


2 comments:

  1. I guess the British Council Language was good
    it's really helped me along with british german teacher skype
    http://preply.com/en/german-by-skype

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete