Sunday 17 November 2013

From Yorkshire to Munich and a visit to Dachau


Another fairly normal week in school again. I have a (rough) weekly routine now which I quite like. In School on Monday I was doing the usual stuff, checking work and just being there for any English-related questions. Before leaving I was asked if I would mind helping one of the teachers out with some marking of students' work. I genuinely want to help out as much as possible, so I agreed. I took a selection of students homework and brought them home. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited (sad, I know) but it made me feel like a real teacher with responsibility. The red pen came out when I got back and I began correcting. This is the same red pen that I just to fear during my time at school, but now it was in my hand and I had the power -Muhahaha.

Back in on Tuesday and I was working with a particularly excited class. They are really friendly and I really enjoy working with them. I got high fives and handshakes from some of the pupils, which was really nice. According to one boy, I have lots of 'fans' in the class. They were revising for a test, which was going to be taken the following day (which was 'very nicht cool' according to one boy), so I didn't have much to do. A few pupils asked for my help with some questions, so naturally I helped them and gave them the answer. I was particularly embarrassed to find that that wasn't the same answer as the teacher had, so in fact they had got it wrong. But the answer I gave was still correct English - This is the difficult thing with Language; There is often several different ways of saying something and therefore several different possibilities as a correct answer. I hope the students appreciate this and my 'fans' don't turn on me!

On Wednesday I was at my second school. I had a particularly good day here. I began the morning with the year 5 class who are so sweet and are learning about time. As always I was impressed with their level of English and like I've said before, I enjoy working with the younger classes. My next lesson was a lesson where I was playing 'teacher' again. I had been asked to prepare a lesson about where I come from in England. I spent the previous few evening planning it. I began with giving some information about Yorkshire and comparing it with Bavaria (Although Yorkshire is the biggest county in England, Bavaria is still almost 7 times bigger than Yorkshire - That's right, Germany is huge!) Next I showed a video from the Yorkshire Tourist Board, showcasing the beauty of Yorkshire. I actually felt really proud as I showed them the video and when Halifax was shown, I felt a jolt of excitement and although it may sound silly, I felt a lump in my throat. They seemed impressed and I asked what they thought of it and they said how nice it looked. (Damn right!) One boy was convinced he saw the Golden Gate Bridge, but I assured him it wasn't and it was in fact the Humber bridge. (Not quite as spectacular). We talked a little bit about vocabulary and we listed some outdoor activities that you can do in the beautiful Yorkshire dales. My next task was one I was particularly looking forward to working through with them. I had spent quite a lot of time preparing this. It was a text that I had cut up, muddled up, put in envelopes and the students' task was to remove all the little strips from the envelope and put them in the right order so that the text made sense... The text was a recipe... The topic was Yorkshire... As Rolf would say "Can you guess what it is yet?" (OK. Maybe I shouldn't mention Rolf and school children in the same post).... But that's right. It was a recipe for Yorkshire Puddings! They worked through it and then I gave them the correct form. I was surprised when some the pupils asked me if they could take the recipe home as they wanted to try it! "Of course" I said. If I can introduce just one German to the splendour of the humble Yorkshire Pudding, then I consider my duty here in Germany complete. I can't wait for Grandma to hear about this - That's right Grandma, I taught Bavarian school children how to make Yorkshire Puddings.

All the schools here also have a 'tanoy' system - like the kind of the thing you would expect in America. It allows the secretary / headmaster to speak to the entire school at once, as there is a speaker in every room. They are used very frequently and students are always being called to different offices for whatever reason. On Wednesday I got my first 'shout-out' (That's not what they call it, but it is what I'm calling it) It was nothing exciting, it was just informing the students about the room of one my classes for the following day, but non the less, it made me feel good.

On Thursday, I taught three separate classes. I prepared well for all of them and I feel comfortable whilst teaching. However, I find myself worrying a lot beforehand. Worrying if my tasks will fill the lesson, whether the students will find it too hard, stressing whether the students will revolt and I will be injured by a barrage of flying stationary. I worry too much and I fear it takes the enjoyment out of the whole experience. I breath a sigh of relief after each lesson and then begin worrying about my next lesson. I need to work on this and just relax a little more.


On Thursday evening, Lois came to Regensburg. I suggested going out to a local Bavarian Restaurant for tea, as it had been recommended to me and I was feeling particularly German. The Restaurant was nice, but since it was a German restaurant the only tables available were big long tables, that seat around 10 people. No romantic, cosy little tables for two in the corner. Oh no. In German restaurants you often find yourself sharing tables and eating with complete strangers! It wasn't too busy, so we found a vacant table and enjoyed our meal in privacy. We both took the opportunity to try something new. I opted for Schweinshaxn und Kartoffelknödel mit Krautsalat (Pork knuckle with potato dumplings and a salad) whilst Lois had Käsespätzle mit Salat (Cheese covered egg noodle dumpling things with salad). We both really enjoyed our meals and would definitely choose them again.

 
On Friday we travelled to Munich to explore the city, which is actually very close to us. It was a little overcast, but we enjoyed looking around the city before going on a walking tour where we learned about the history and culture of the city. Its a lovely city with a real mix of old and new. Lots of old buildings and history but equally many modern shops. Signs that Christmas is fast approaching were everywhere, from huge shop window displays to Christmas market huts being set up. You can feel the German Christmas buzz in the air! It was however very cold, so we following the tour we made a quick dash back to the train station and returned to Regensburg.                                                                Getting in the Christmas Spirit












You can't go to Munich and not have a Riesenbreze (Giant Pretzel!)




                                           I made a new friend on the walking tour

                 This watch was spotted on Munich's wealthy Maximillian Straße - The price tag 227,900 Euros - Wow! And you're right - It doesn't even look that special!




Back in Regensburg, we went to the supermarket to get some food for tea. As I already said, signs of Christmas are everywhere - which definitely includes the supermarket. We spotted some Glühwein, and couldn't resist. The fact we were cold seemed the perfect excuse to buy it. The Glühwein came in a 1 litre bottle and cost a mighty 1.29Euros. I bet you have your suspicions about the taste and quality of such a cheap bottle of alcohol but let me tell you now, the Glühwein was delicious. So delicious in fact, that at the time of writing this blog, we have indeed gone through 2 bottles. When you look at what you would pay at a Christmas Market for a small mug of Glühwein, buying it by the bottle is a no brainer. We will certainly miss this next year when we're back in the UK.







The next part of my post may be a little depressing, I'm afraid. On Saturday, we decided to visit Dachau Concentration Camp. Dachau is located just north of Munich and is just a 30min train journey from the main train station. Dachau was the very first Concentration Camp built by the Nazis. It was built just two months after Hitler came to power in 1933. Although first a camp which mainly housed political prisoners, it soon housed Jews from all over Europe. The camp was designed to hold 6,000 prisoners. By 1945, 32,000 people were imprisoned there. The name Dachau became infamous as a camp of brutality, cruelty and death. Over 40,000 people died here.

The day was once again overcast and foggy. It was also once again very cold. This created a very atmospheric feel to our experience. Entrance to the entire camp is free, which is a good thing, as it means there really is no excuse not to come and learn about such an important bit of history. Walking through the gates and past the sign 'Arbeit macht Frei' (Work brings freedom) which is synonymous with Nazi Concentration Camps, was, even now, a frightening feeling. The bleak openness of the grounds was depressing and you really got a feel for the horror that went on there. We explored the several parts of the camp. The Bunker, where acts of torture and punishment were regularly carried out was a really scary place to be in. The Crematorium and gas chambers (which were incidentally never actually used for mass extermination - People were either worked/starved to death, or killed by gunshot - Therefore Dachau is a Concentration Camp and not an Extermination Camp like Auschwitz) were equally as eerie and shocking. The Barracks were small and obviously basic and the thought of hundreds of people in these cramped conditions was not pleasant. The Museum on site is vast and has masses of information. We found it really interesting to read about all aspects of the camp and thought it was very well presented. A film was shown, which although at times difficult to watch, gave an informative insight into the camp during its time of operation. No one can say an experience like this is enjoyable, but it was interesting. And we feel that it is an important part of history that should be recognised and learnt about.










































































Barrack blocks













These are the foundations of the former barrack blocks













































The Crematorium
















The Gas chambers



I would hate to end my post on a sad, depressing note, so here is some more, positive news! Ahhem. I have finally found a flat for next year! Wahoo! It is a really lovely single apartment, in a quite area just south of Regensburg. Yes, the location isn't ideal, as it is a way out of the centre, but apart from that, it really is ideal for me. I cycled there to sign the contract and it's not too far at all. Besides, you all know how much I enjoy cycling, so I actually look forward to commuting into school. (I reserve the right to change my opinion on this matter. I figure that after a few early morning commutes in early January, with fingers frozen around the handlebars and icicles hanging off the end of my nose as I fight through bitter German snowstorms, the enjoyment factor may seriously diminish) But I'm really happy with it and relieved to have somewhere to come back to after Christmas. I've struggled for so long to find somewhere, so this really is big news! I propose making Tuesday 12 November (The date of the signing of the contract) a national holiday where everybody celebrates the fact that Marcus finally found a place to live. Not sure if it will catch on....

Anyway...another week ahead, so better plan some lessons!

Tschüß!




No comments:

Post a Comment