Sunday 8 September 2013

First day

Grüβe aus Deutschland!

As I set off from home early Saturday morning, I was feeling very I had apprehensive. I had butterflies, and so many thoughts were running through my mind on my journey to the airport. It suddenly felt very real as we pulled into Manchester Airport. We met Lois and her family there and had just enough time for a quick coffee altogether before Lois and I made our ‘Grand Depart.’ I’m not going to lie, it was tough walking away from my family knowing I wouldn't be seeing them until just before Christmas. Lois was feeling just the same and I feel so fortunate that we were doing it together. I really do have a lot of admiration for anyone embarking on such an adventure alone! Despite the flight being really nice (We got lunch and even had TV in the chairs – A rarity for short-haul flights), we were both feeling the same – very worried about what lay in store for us! Landing in Munich at lunch time, we realised this was it and there was certainly no going back!
On our way! 

Germany looks just like England, right?

















As we were going to be travelling to Lois’ accommodation by train it made sense to get our Bahncard50 (A railcard giving 50% discount on all rail travel) before we started our journey. Despite desperately wanting to speak in English, I pushed myself to ask for it in German. The woman replied in German and I had my very first German conversation.  This really, really helped and suddenly I had a new found confidence and I was now excited about the prospect of living in Germany and speaking German!

Eichstaett

After a very long, warm, sticky train journey, with several changes and a walk to Lois’ flat (all with my entire years’ worth of clothes being dragged in two heavy suitcases behind me) we made it! We were greeted by her lovely landlord and given a temporary room. We had chance to look round Eichstätt, which is a really nice little town and oh so very German. We were also advised that the town ‘Volksfest’ (basically festival) was on and we thought ‘why not?’
16 Steins! Wow!

The Eichstätt Volksfest was amazing! Half the people there were wearing the traditional German dress of ‘Lederhosen’ and ‘Dirndl’ – They looked great and the atmosphere was really nice. It was definitely different to the ‘chavy’ festivals in England. Although the beer was flowing, everyone was just merry and having a good time –Another difference to England, were inevitably someone would be dancing on a table naked, whilst someone else would be throwing up in the corner. A traditional Bavarian band were playing and everyone was singing along – I can’t to learn the songs and next time, I will be joining in! We had a Bratwurst each and a beer/cocktail, so I’m already feeling very German.

First German beer - Hopefully the first of many!
Dancing on the tables
Enjoying our first evening in Germany




























We were both buzzing after the festival and I said to Lois, that I could even imagine myself living here! We had a decent nights sleep after a very long day (although the several churches here chime every 15 minutes , so that will take some getting used to) but we both woke up feeling a little homesick and just a little ‘lost.’ After such a fantastic evening, it feels like we've almost gone backwards. I keep feeling overwhelmed at everything I still have to do. But we've got each other and we keep talking which is a huge help. I’d be definitely contemplating a flight back home if I was alone! We had a lovely traditional German breakfast at a local bakery (Bread rolls, croissants, Salami , Cheese) and I'm feeling envious that Lois is in such a lovely little town.
Ferris Wheel - A proper festival!
















Lois’ room / flat / town is perfect for a Language Assistant. It’s properly German, so she will get lots of chance to practice, and her room is ideal. We’re going to meet one of her teachers this afternoon and then maybe re-visit the Volksfest, as it’s the last day and there’s a firework to close it. Tomorrow the hard work starts, when we start looking at Mobile phone simcards, opening bank accounts, and most importantly for me…finding somewhere to live!

Until next time,

Marcus 

No comments:

Post a Comment