Friday 13 September 2013

From 'Bake Off' Blues to Total Immersion


 Ok, I know 'total immersion' sounds a little scary but all will be explained...( I just thought this was the best way to describe things)

On Wednesday, Lois and I settled down to catch up on ‘The Great British Bake Off’ We thought it would be nice to hear some English again after hearing German for, what seems like, so long. I really enjoyed watching it. I lost myself in a world of filo pastry, tarts and pies, filled deep with delicious fillings. I imagined myself bouncing on fluffy clouds of marshmallows, running my fingers through waterfalls flowing with thick custard and swimming in pools of glossy milk chocolate – OK, that’s a slight exaggeration but I really did forget I was in Germany. When the programme finished and I ‘awoke’ from my fantasy world of baking, I felt really homesick. I think it was just the shock of realising I was actually in Germany, after watching a ‘proper’ British programme and of course, hearing lots English. Despite this we soon got over it and decided go out to get back in ‘German mode’!

This leads me to the ‘immersion’ bit. I bought my first German newspaper on Thursday. Ok, it was ‘Bild’ (The German version of ‘The Sun’ – so easy reading ;)) but I really enjoyed reading it. It did take me a while to get through but I understood all of it and I think it’s another good way of learning German. In addition, we also watched ‘Kindsköpfer’ (Grown Ups - watched in German, of course) on TV and today we went to the Cinema to watch ‘Planes’ (great film!), again in German (We were the only two in the cinema, which made it feel special). It really feels like an achievement to get through a film in another language. Throughout watching Planes today, we both found ourselves laughing at the jokes and understanding the story. Again I’ve found this is a good way to learn new language and improve listening skills. It’s amazing how quickly you pick things up when you’re surrounded by a new language (Posters, reading material, TV, Radio, people in the street etc.)

I’ve also found myself asking people questions, just so I can practice. I asked a cashier a question I already knew the answer to, but I just wanted to practice speaking German! I really feel like I’m picking it up, so I really hope this continues throughout the year. One thing I was warned about before coming here was that the Germans will reply in English once they realise that you’re not ‘one of them’, but this is something I’ve not experienced at all. Every single time I’ve spoken with a German, they have replied in German – even when I’ve obviously been struggling. I’m really grateful for this and hope it continues.

We visited Ingolstadt today – again in the rain. It’s a nice city with lots there and we’ll definitely go back on a sunny day. We’re going to be busy busy busy for the next week. Back to Regensburg tomorrow to try and find me somewhere to live (This never ending accommodation hunt is getting tiring now – I hope I find somewhere soon). Sunday we’re travelling through Mitfahrgelegenheit (like Bla-Bla-Car in England) with a woman up to Cologne for our Language Assistants Course – It’s 50% cheaper than the train so worthwhile. We’re staying over in Cologne and then hopefully visiting a few sights before beginning the course on Monday afternoon and finishing on Thursday. So lots to keep us busy and then shortly after we get back, we will be starting in the schools. I'm feeling pretty nervous about starting as I don’t really know what will be expected of me but every single person who I’ve spoken to at both my schools are really, really friendly so I’m feeling reassured.
In Hugendubel (such a cool German word) in Ingolstadt.
It's a book /stationary shop like Waterstones, but they have all these really cool
seats, where you can just sit and read!
Get on it Waterstones!


















I’m still enjoying navigating the supermarket and discovering all the new foods and brands – whilst trying to control my incessant urge to buy the entire contents of the sweet aisle. The sweets here are amazing! They surpass any sweets found back home and no matter how big the supermarket, they always manage to squeeze a HUGE selection of sweets/cakes/biscuits/chocolate/sweets/alcohol/sweets. I should probably take this opportunity to apologise in advance to my dentist – I envisage many, many encounters with the dreaded drill and dozens of fillings on my return.
The cost of one bottle of water - 65 Cents
The cost of one bottle of Beer - 39 Cents
Meaning...Beer is cheaper than water!
Germany certainly know how to do it
































Basically, what I want to emphasize from this post, is that I am really enjoying my time here in Germany (I think my last post might have come across a bit depressing) I can see myself falling in love with the country and the lifestyle (I love the fact trains are on time (on the whole), that TV programmes start and finish at random times like 21:58 and 22:23, and that, if there is one thing the Germans like more than sausage and beer, its recycling – I just love it!) . I’m really enjoying German as a language as well as Germany as a culture.


My next post may not be for a while, so until then…

Tschüß

No comments:

Post a Comment