Wednesday 11 September 2013

Year Abroad Limbo



So as the name of this post suggests, I’m feeling very mixed at the moment. I just feel a little bit lost – a little bit “in limbo”. I still don’t have any accommodation sorted for when I start teaching and for this reason, I can’t really do anything. For example for me to open a bank account, I need an address. In order to ‘anmelden’ (register as living in Germany), I need an address. But I’m doing everything I can to overcome this and I’m not the only one. My mentor teacher at one of the schools I will be teaching is absolutely amazing. We've spoken over the phone several times and she is always so excited and enthusiastic and she’s really trying to find somewhere to live. She’s been speaking with her family, friends, her neighbours and her work colleges trying to help my get somewhere. I feel a little guilty that she has to do this, but it’s now at the point where I need all the help I can get! I’m so grateful that she understands my situation and it’s nice knowing someone is on your side (up to now it seemed that everyone was against me, what with all the declining of accommodation offers!) Lois’ landlord and neighbour are also contacting anyone who could help. I told Lois that I feel like I should be paying them! They are all ringing people here, and talking to others there, all in order to find me somewhere to live! I feel fortunate to have such lovely people around me right now, because I would definitely much more lost without them!

This leads me to another point – The Germans. Now, before I came I was well aware of the stereotype of the scary, angry Germans but every single German whom I’ve come across so far couldn’t have been nicer. Even when I've struggled when trying to speak German, they’ve been patient and friendly. I hate to say it, but it has come as a surprise – obviously a very pleasant one! It goes to show that stereotypes can be, and often are, so incorrect.

Just a quick update on what Lois and I have been up to the last few days. On Sunday we watched a Bavarian Parade go through Eichstätt, ending at the Volksfest (which we visited the previous night). This was a great sight to see and I would have said the procession was easily one mile long! I saw more Lederhosen in that procession than I've seen in my whole life! People in the procession would throw sweets out to the people lined on the sides of the road and the flag bearers would stop every now and again to wave the flag and the whole crowd would cheer. It was a really friendly and happy atmosphere.  Lois and I followed this by having a fantastic ice cream sundae in one of the many Ice cream parlors in Eichstätt. (It’s probably good that I’m not living here, as I would definitely be obese come the end my Year Abroad from all the Ice cream!) In the evening we visited the Volksfest again, sampled another Bratwurst (When in Rome…) and then watched the firework display. At this point the heavens opened, and as Lois and I had a long walk back, we got very, very wet! I doubt that, if I were to have a shower, fully clothed, I would have been more wet. It was so nice to get back to Lois’ warm, cosy flat.












Just a bit of beer















On Monday, we explored the other areas of Eichstätt. I also got my German phone, so now I can ring within Germany. Sorting out a German Sim-Card was another opportunity to practice German, which has given me more confidence. Practice really is the best way to improve and gain confidence. We visited the supermarket and it was…interesting. Some of the food looks really tasty, other food…not so much. But I really would like to try a little of everything and discover some new tasty foods! Lois bought some bedding and kitchen utensils, so the flat here is looking more ‘homey’ now.

Freshly made Audis ready to be sold around the world
And they're wearing cool little Audi coats
Yesterday we went to Regensburg! It looks like a really cool place but unfortunately, it rained all day so we didn't see it at its best (My English mentor told me that it was the first day it had rained since July! She said ‘As soon as the English come, it starts to rain’ – Always take the weather with you, right?!) Anyway, the reason we went was to visit a flat. Eventually we found it and it was really nice – it seemed ideal for me and in a great location. However they’re looking for a long term tenant and also preferably a girl, so I’m not too optimistic. I expressed my interest and said I was keen, so we will see what happens. I’d really like it to work out as I haven’t got any other options right now! I have been making lots of phone calls recently to various Landlords asking about possible rooms. This was terrifying at first, but it’s just normal now. This again shows how practise and repetition help confidence, so I’m not longer afraid to try to speak German.

In terms of homesickness etc, Sunday was not a good day. We both really struggled and it was hard - I think we both would have done absolutely anything to be back home and not have to a Year Abroad. But having each other is a massive help (I know I've said this too many times.) I feel like my emotions are so up and down at the moment. One minute I’m loving it and want to stay forever, other times I’m feeling down and all I want is to be back home. Keeping busy, even just going outside for a walk, really help, so we’re both trying to do that.

OK. I think I've said too much now. My brother returns to the UK from three months in America today – A little piece of me wishes I was in his position, coming home and back to family and home comforts, but the other bit of me (the bigger bit!) is glad I’m here and feeling determined to make the most of my time here. Let’s hope these positive vibes continue and grow!


No comments:

Post a Comment