Friday 20 September 2013

Training in Köln

Hello everybody,

     I've just returned from my three day training course which took place in Cologne. Now I have to admit, I was not looking forward to going and I didn't really think it would be useful for me. However, I had a really great time.

    Lois and I arrived in Cologne on Sunday night, after a 6 hour car journey involving lots of queues. The woman who took us was lovely and we were able to learn a lot just on the journey there! Arriving into Cologne late evening was an amazing sight. The cathedral was lit up, bridges were alive with car headlights and the skyscrapers looked like giant Christmas trees. It was a great introduction to the city. Unfortunately, as we had been delayed so much on the journey, we had to get straight on a train and find our hotel just a few stops away. (We got lost...again. We're becoming particularly good at asking for directions in German)

   Something we both really appreciated was the fact that we were able to check into our room in German. Yes, it's only a tiny little thing but it felt really good to be able to do it. Simple little skills like this are often overlooked with language learning, but it's these little things that I really appreciate.

  So we ventured out to Cologne the next morning - Suitcases in hand as we would then go straight to our course. I have to say, I was really impressed with Cologne. Despite more rain, we explored the city. It has a really city vibe on the main street(s) with loads of big brand shops. But equally, just off the main shopping street, you can find quaint little bars and cafes and lovely old buildings in the older parts of the city. It is certainly somewhere I could go back to.

  OK. So I'm pretty sure you've all heard of Cologne cathedral. It's the most famous attraction in the city! I'm not somebody who normally appreciates architecture or old buildings, but the 'Kölner Dom' blew me away. It's such a huge building and the architecture is spectacular. We went inside and it was quite unbelievable. It's somewhere I hope I can definitely go back to.






Not normally someone who appreciates
architecture - but I thought this was really impressive















When you want to ask someone to take a picture in Germany, you say
"Können Sie bitte ein Foto machen?" - This translates as "Can you please
make a photo?" - The Germans don't say "Können Sie bitte ein Foto nehmen?"
which would translate as "Can you please take a photo?" - I almost made this
mistake, and if Lois hadn't have told me, I would have looked very silly indeed!

So this brings me to the course. We were whisked from the station to a lovely hotel hidden away in the forests outside of Cologne. The accommodation was really nice and the food was amazing. The course itself was good in the sense that it gave us an idea of how to plan and teach lessons and also prepared us a bit for life in Germany in general. Like a lot of people, I think the thing I gleaned the most from the course was meeting people in exactly the same situation as me. We were all going in to the unknown together and it was reassuring to know everybody was feeling the same. There were some really great people there and I made some friends, with whom I really hope I get the chance to catch up with over the course of my time here. I met people from all over the UK - I was sharing a room with someone from Ireland, I talked to a Canadian a lot and there were some from Australia and New Zealand as well. It was a real laugh, not too serious and definitely reassuring. When we left, it almost felt like going to Germany for the first time again! The little English bubble that we had been living in for 3 days had popped and we were on our own again. But we're now ready to begin our YA properly and we know that there are people all over Germany in just the same position.

The hotel we stayed at was in the countryside
around Cologne. I took this on the way there. The German countryside really is beautiful.

So today we're going back to Regensburg to move me into some temporary accommodation. A teacher gave me a contact and fortunately it worked out. I'm living with a really cool dude and it's in a good location - its just a shame it's only free for a few months. But hey, at least I've got somewhere to live for now! Then it's our last weekend before both starting in our schools on Monday. We're both feeling a little apprehensive but I think we both just want to get started now, so it will be good to finally begin.

Thanks for reading!

Tschüß!


No comments:

Post a Comment